I haven't done any kind of New Year's Resolutions in a few years and I feel oddly inspired to lay some out for 2012. In the past, my promises to myself were steeped in negative language: I will quit doing blahblahblah, no more [random food item], cut back on xyz, and stop doing this, that, and the other. Many of them (predictably) had to do with weight loss and disordered eating. It makes sense that I needed to take some time off from such negativity in my first few years of accepting and loving my body. Fuck those negative vibes, man. I'm approaching my resolutions this year from a decidedly positive place; It's basically going to be a to-do list of epic proportions.
Some of the things on my list do have to do with my appearance, but not my weight. It's all about gender performance, self-care, and self-expression in 2012!
- Learn to walk in heels. This has been a goal of mine for a very long time and this year I will buckle down and buy a cheap pair to practice in. As I master the technique, I will slowly increase the height of the heel and hopefully decrease the width of the heel itself. Spiky stilettos, here I come!
- Figure out how to do a proper wing with liquid eyeliner. I only started wearing liquid liner this year (as well as filling in my eyebrows with brown eyeshadow) and I usually round off the end with a moist q-tip. I want wings, damnit. Yes, I know there are youtube tutorials and I've seen the scotch-tape thing, but I've only succeeded at doing a decent wing ONCE and I simply need more practice. I rarely leave the house without liquid liner on, I'm just tired of it not being the exact look I want.
- Find the right shade of red lipstick for my coloring and start wearing it on the regular. Awhile back, Kyla The Great did a review of Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics liquid lip color, Lip Tar, and this stuff is Serious Business. I just need to to figure out what shade works best for me and order some.
- Paint my nails more often. This one is simple. I already have a decent variety of colors in my collection, I just need to set aside the time and do it.
This next set of resolutions are related to my general health and well-being and will be tackled from a HAES perspective.
- Drink more water. It's simple and straightforward, but I still have stress forcing myself to do it. Water consumption is one of the things I keep track of in my day planner and lately, it's been tapering off. I need to have a glass or bottle nearby at all times.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week. My experience has been that the best way to keep my blood pressure in the normal range is to be more active. I'm not a person who sits very much and the majority of my day is spent on my feet, but I'm generally just standing and not exactly moving around a lot. I bought an elliptical at the end of September and have yet to get into a regular routine with it. I'll use it a few times one week and then not touch it for a couple of weeks and so on. I need to use it more often and slowly increase the length of time I'm on there. I usually last about 10 to 15 minutes tops right now before I get bored. I also love dancing and took a Zumba class once, which I enjoyed greatly. All of these activities need to be worked into my life more.
The last few resolutions are kind of random and don't fit neatly into the above categories.
- Try out 25 completely new recipes. This would only be about two new meals a month, which shouldn't be a problem. I'm a decent cook, but I tend to make the same things over and over. It's time to mix it up a bit.
- Introduce a few new items to the Etsy shop. This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile, but this is a great opportunity to stop procrastinating and hold myself to it! I've got more patchwork in the pipes: Neck warmer/scarf/collar type things (I've got to figure out what I'm going to call them if I want to market and sell them. Ack!), decorative hoop wall-hangings, and some other surprises! I also want to make more of my cuffs, baby cubes, and coordinate some more sachet sets!
- Get the yard a lot closer to finished. I know that landscaping and gardening are never really done, but it is currently a MESS out there. I've got a lot of areas where I need to lay down sheets to kill the weeds and cover them with beauty bark, as well as some rock borders that need to be put in, etc etc etc. It will always be an ongoing project, but I want to make lots of progress this Spring. LOTS.
- Pose for semi-nude portraits. I saved this one for last because it's a big'n. I've been toying around with this idea for a couple of years and finally decided that it's time. My longtime BFF, Lexi, is an incredibly talented photographer. She's taken several pictures of me over the years and I've loved every one of them. If I'd be comfortable with anyone taking pictures of me in next to nothing, it'd be her. She's never done nudes or semi-nudes before and so this will be a big deal for both of us. Time to document my ruffle-butt!
So yes, it's a long list. I know. I think that as long as I stay positive and focus on what I want to start doing instead of what I want to stop doing, it will be something I can accomplish. This is going to a rad year. I can feel it in my bones.